Thursday, December 13, 2012

Always Ready

1Pe 3:1 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:
The conversation went something like this "Why do you believe God exists?"
Christian for over a decade: "I have no clue."
No, it is not uncommon, I have met pastors who thought that to believe the Scriptures, we had to give up logic. I have met many young men who were confused and shaken in their faith by such simple questions as "why do you trust a God you cannot see with your soul" or "how do you know the Bible is better than any other religious book on earth?"
If I am an atheist, and I know why I do not believe in God, and ask a Christian why he does, if he says he does not know, than why should I convert, so I can be relegated to the mindless faith I think Christianity is?
I once talked to a college student who was not sure if he believed in God, he told me that he had asked many Christians how a God could have no beginning and no end, and had never received any answer.
I have traveled a great deal, and will proclaim that to find a Christian  who knows what they believe and why they believe it, and can converse on it in a coherent, sound, logical and Biblical fashion, is a rarity.
I am not saying that we ought know every fact and every argument, that is an impossibility, but to know the Scriptures, which are profitable for reproof, (II Tim 3:16-17), to know logic, not in the fashion of Plato, but in the fashion of Christ.
The atheist may not be persuaded, he probably will not be, for the naturual man recieveth not the things of God, for to him they are foolishness. However, the Holy Spirit may draw him, and the person's mind may be changed about Chrisianity because of your answers.

Through His Strength We Will Conquer,
Andrew C. Abbott

No comments:

Post a Comment