Monday, December 10, 2012

Stop Waiting for the Clock

1Ti 4:1 Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity.
I have met many young men who, because of their youth, think they are too young to do anything great, or, in some cases, too young to do anything at all. However, I do not need to tell you how many young men all throughout history have done great things. I could mention the boy Joash who became king, or the young boy who became caption of a ship at age twelve, on which the prisoners mutinied, and the boy had to put them down, or we could speak of King David, who killed Saul in his teenage years. But that is not what I want to speak about, because you probably know those stories, what I wish to remind you is that being young does not give you a licence to goof off, to be a jester, or to waste your life with comic books and movies, rather "be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity."

I am not saying that if you are not an ambassador to to Russia at age fourteen that you are not mature, but I am saying to stop saying "I am too young." The seeds planted in youth will grow into trees in adulthood. If you waste time now, or if you sit around waiting for an event, you will do so, perhaps forever.

Benjamin Franklin said "Lost time can never be found again." Instead of waiting for your age to increase, seek to make your character and maturity do so. Stop waiting for the clock, start seeking to build yourself into a man.

Through His Strength We Will Conquer,

Andrew C. Abbott

1 comment:

  1. I loved every word you said there.
    It it a few targets.
    And it made me want to post this.

    I expect to pass through this world but once.
    Any good things terefore, that I can do,any
    kindness that I can show a fellow being,let me
    do it now.Let me not defer or neglect it,for I
    shall not pass this way again.

    STEPHEN GRELLET.

    ReplyDelete