Monday, March 18, 2013

A quote from the Puritans


"There are some circumstances that I am in with many wants. Well, how shall I come to be satisfied and content? A carnal heart thinks 'I must have all my wants made up or else it is impossible that I should be content.' But a gracious heart says 'What is the duty of the circumstances that God has put me into...Let me exert my strength to perform the duties of the present circumstances.

"Others spend their thoughts on things that disturb and disquiet them, and so they grow more and more discontented. Let me spend my thoughts on thinking what my duty is...You should rather labor to bring your heart to quiet and contentment by setting your soul to work in the duties of your present condition, and take heed of your thoughts about others conditions as a mere temptation." (Jeremiah Burroughs The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment. p.13 Published and abridged by Chapel Library. 2010.)

No comments:

Post a Comment